Wednesday 10 October 2012

New ironing board cover.

The laundry has overgone a lot of changes and I knew an easy update was to change up the old ironing board cover. I used to have a large ironing board but found a little one on a garage sale for a few dollars. I like it so much more as it doesn't take up much room and it is so easy to get out and set up anywhere. However the cover was pretty old and definately not my taste.
I'm still learning how to sew well so I decided to use the existing cover and create my new cover around it. This was easier for me than working how how to thread the string and work out how to keep it in place.
You will need:
an existing ironing board cover
a sewing machine
material
How to:
I left the padding on the board and made the cover to go on top.
First measure the material so there is about a 2 cm boarder around the edge.
Pin it in place around the existing cover.
Then sew the material in place and you have your new cover.
The fabric, which was gifted to me by my best friend's mum, is much more to my taste and no longer full of stained patches. This DIY only took about 15 minutes and already makes me feel slightly better about ironing, although I'm still not that into ironing!

6 comments:

  1. The ironing board covers are very pretty. They are often pretty ordinary looking the ones that you can find available for purchase, so this is a great idea! Thank you for stopping by my blog and for the sweet comment--I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I, too, have a hand-me-down ironing board that is functional but ugly. It needs a make-over...now to find some material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im such an amateur at sewing so this project is really super easy, hope you can find the perfect material :)
      L x

      Delete
  3. I totally did! I love the new look and feel of my ironing board. Tempted to spray-paint the frame, too, to complete the look. You can see it here:

    http://renewedprojects.blogspot.com/2012/10/recovering-old-ironing-board-for-less.html

    Thanks for posting the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you found the post useful and felt inspired. Thanks for letting me know you tried out one of my tutorials!
    L x

    ReplyDelete